The Life of Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ)
Prophet Muhammad (ﷺ)'s Mercy To The Non Muslims | Sirah Base
PROPHET MUHAMMAD (S.A.W)'s MERCY TO THE NON MUSLIMS
“And We have sent you (O Muhammad) not but as a mercy for the ‘Alameen (mankind, jinns and all that exists)” [Quran al-Anbiya’ 4:107].
“Keep to forgiveness (O Muhammad), and enjoin kindness, and turn away from the ignorant.” (Quran 7:199)
NOTE : THE BELOW ARE ONLY A FEW EXAMPLES I COULD COLLECT. THERE ARE NUMEROUS EXAMPLES ON THIS TOPIC, BUT THE BELOW SHOULD SUFFICE THE PURPOSE.
1. Jabir b. Abdullah reported: We went along with Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) on an expedition towards Najd and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) found us in a valley abounding in thorny trees. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) stayed for rest under a tree and he suspended his sword by one of its branches under which he was taking rest. The persons scattered in the valley and they also began to take rest under the shade of trees, and Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) said: A person came to me while I was asleep and he took hold of the sword. I woke up and found him standing upon my head and I had hardly become alert (and saw) that the sword was in his hand. And he said: Who can protect you from me? I said: Allah. He again said: Who can protect you from me? I said: Allah. He put his sword in the sheath (and you can see) this man sitting here. Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) did not in any way touch him. (Muslim Book #030, Hadith #5665)
2. Narrated Abu Huraira: A Bedouin stood up and started making water (urinating) in the mosque. The people caught him (i.e rebuked him) but the Prophet ordered them to leave him and to pour a bucket or a tumbler of water over the place where he had passed the urine. The Prophet then said, "You have been sent to make things easy and not to make them difficult." (Bukhari Book #4, Hadith #219)
3. Narrated 'Abdur Rahman bin Abi Laila: Sahl bin Hunaif and Qais bin Sad were sitting in the city of Al-Qadisiya. A funeral procession passed in front of them and they stood up. They were told that funeral procession was of one of the inhabitants of the land i.e. of a non-believer, under the protection of Muslims. They said, "A funeral procession passed in front of the Prophet and he stood up. When he was told that it was the coffin of a jew, he said, "Is it not a living being (soul)?" (Bukhari Book #23, Hadith #399)
4. Narrated Jabir bin 'Abdullah : A funeral procession passed in front of us and the Prophet stood up and we too stood up. We said, 'O Allah's Apostle! This is the funeral procession of a jew." He said, "Whenever you see a funeral procession, you should stand up." (Bukhari Book #23, Hadith #398)
5. Abu huraira reported it was said to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him): Invoke curse upon the polytheists, whereupon he said: I have not been sent as the invoker of curse, but" I have been sent as mercy." (Muslim Book #032, Hadith #6284)
6. Imam Ahmad recorded that Anas bin Malik said, "On the day of Hudaybiyyah, eighty armed men from Makkah went down the valley coming from Mount At-Tan'im to ambush the Messen- ger of Allah . The Messenger invoked Allah against them, and they were taken prisoners.'' 'Affan added, "The Messenger pardoned them, and this Ayah was later on revealed,
(And He it is Who has withheld their hands from you and your hands from them in the midst of Makkah, after He had made you victors over them.)'' Muslim, Abu Dawud in his Sunan and At-Tirmidhi and An-Nasa'i, in the Tafsir section of their Sunan, collected this Hadith.[Tafsir Ibn Katheer under the ayah 24 of Surah al-Fath]
7. Prophet peace be upon him said on the conquest of Makkah "O you people of Quraish! What do you think of the treatment that I am about to accord to you?" They replied: "O noble brother and son of noble brother! We expect nothing but goodness from you." Upon this he said: "I speak to you in the same words as Yusuf (the Prophet Joseph) spoke unto his brothers: He said: "No reproach on you this day," [Al-Qur'an 12:92] go your way, for you are freed ones."[Sealed nectar,Preparations for the Attack on Makkah, and the Prophet's Attempt at imposing a News Black-out]
8. A group of Jews asked permission to visit the Prophet (and when they were admitted) they said, "As-Samu 'Alaika (Death be upon you)." I said (to them), "But death and the curse of Allah be upon you!" The Prophet said, "O 'Aisha! Allah is kind and lenient and likes that one should be kind and lenient in all matters." I said, "Haven't you heard what they said?" He said, "I said (to them), 'Wa 'Alaikum (and upon you).(Bukhari Volume 9, Book 84, Number 61)
9. Asmaa' bint Abi Bakr (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: "My mother came to me when she was still a mushrikah – at the time when there was a peace treaty between Quraysh and the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) – accompanied by her father. I consulted the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), saying, 'O Messenger of Allaah, my mother has come to me and she is asking for help. Should I uphold the ties of kinship with her?' He said, 'Yes, uphold the ties of kinship with her.' (Narrated by al-Bukhaari, no. 2946).
10. Allah says: " they give food, inspite of their love for it (or for the love of Him), to the Miskeen (the poor), the orphan, and the captive' [al-Insaan 76:8].
Ibn Katheer Commented on the above verse:
'' Ibn 'Abbas said, "At that time (when this Ayah was revealed) their (the Muslims') captives were idolators.'' Proof for this is that on the day of Badr the Messenger of Allah commanded his Companions to treat the captives respectfully. They (the Companions) would give them (the prisoners) preference over themselves when eating their meals. 'Ikrimah said, "They (captives) are the slaves.'' Ibn Jarir preferred this opinion since the Ayah generally refers to both the Muslim and the idolators. Sa'id bin Jubayr, 'Ata', Al-Hasan and Qatadah all made similar statements. The Messenger of Allah advised treating servants well in more than one Hadith.
11. Abd ar-Rahman ibn Kab said, "The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, forbade those who fought ibn Abi Huqayq (a treacherous Jew from Madina) to kill women and children. He said that one of the men fighting had said, 'The wife of ibn Abi Huqayq began screaming and I repeatedly raised my sword against her. Then I would remember the prohibition of the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, so I would stop. Had it not been for that, we would have been rid of her.'[Maliks Muwatta Book 021, Hadith Number 008. Section : Prohibition against Killing Women and Children in Military Expeditions.]
12.. Narrated Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As: Mujahid said that Abdullah ibn Amr slaughtered a sheep and said: Have you presented a gift from it to my neighbor,the Jew, for I heard the Apostle of Allah (peace_be_upon_him) say: Gabriel kept on commending the neighbour to me so that I thought he would make an heir? (Abu Dawood Book #41, Hadith #5133)
13. Narrated anas: A jewish boy used to serve the Prophet and became ill. The Prophet went to pay him a visit and said to him, "Embrace Islam," and he did embrace Islam. Al-Musaiyab said: When Abu Talib was on his deathbed, the Prophet visited him. (Bukhari Book #70, Hadith #561)
14. Narrated anas bin Malik: A jewess brought a poisoned (cooked) sheep for the Prophet who ate from it. She was brought to the Prophet and he was asked, "Shall we kill her?" He said, "No." I continued to see the effect of the poison on the palate of the mouth of Allah's Apostle . (Bukhari Book #47, Hadith #786)
15. Prophet peace be upon him told us the story of the Jewess. Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) as saying: There was a dog moving around a well whom thirst would have killed. Suddenly a prostitute from the prostitutes of Bani Isra'il (Jews) happened to see it and she drew water in her shoe and made it drink,and she was pardoned because of this. (Muslim, Book #026, Hadith #5579)
16. The prophet (s.a.w) said “Beware of the supplication of the oppressed, even if he is an unbeliever, for there is no screen between it and Allah.” [Musnad Ahmad, Number 12140, Sahih]
17. Narrated Abdullah ibn Abbas: When the children of a woman (in pre-Islamic days) did not survive, she took a vow on herself that if her child survives, she would convert it a Jew. When Banu an-Nadir were expelled (from Arabia), there were some children of the ansar (Helpers) among them. They (Muslims) said: We shall not leave our children. So Allah the Exalted revealed; "Let there be no compulsion in religion. Truth stands out clear from error." (Abu Dawood Book #14, Hadith #2676)
Why the Jews were expelled? Islamqa Fatwa:32762 says. They tried to kill Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) after Badr. Banu al-Nadir sent for him to come out to them with thirty of his companions, and said "We will send out thirty of our rabbis, to meet in such and such a place, halfway between us and you, so that they can listen to you. If they believe in you then we will all believe in you." Then they said: "How can we reach an understanding when there are sixty of us? Send out three of your companions and we will send out three of our scholars to listen to you. They were carrying concealed daggers and they wanted to kill the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). A sincere woman from among Banu al-Nadeer sent word to her nephew (her brother's son) who was a Muslim man from among the Ansaar, and told him about that, and he told the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went back, and the following day he brought his troops and besieged them, and the Jews of Banu al-Nadeer were expelled. This story was narrated by 'Abd al-Razzaaq in his Musannaf, and by Abu Dawood in his Sunan (3004), via 'Abd al-Razzaaq, but he does not mention the details of the story, rather he says, "... 'They will listen to you and if they believe in you, we shall believe in you.' The narrator then narrated the whole story. When the next day came, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) went out in the morning with an army, and besieged them." This hadeeth was classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Abi Dawood.